"It's as if a great bird lives inside the stone of our days and since no sculptor can free it, it has to wait for the elements to wear us down, till it is free to fly." Mark Nepo

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Three Women


It's funny, when we were planning to meet, the three of us, no one talked about how we'd know each other. There was no, "I'll be wearing a bright green sweater." Granted two of us already knew each other, in fact had grown into an amazingly deep knowing in the past few months. But we'd never actually met the third, and even though we'd seen pictures on her blog, those are never a guarantee of knowing.

When I walked up behind Amber at the airport as she stood in line to check her bags I recognized her before I even saw her face. Our hug was that of sister friends reuniting. When Carrie walked up to us a bit later, I had to remind myself watching their hug that this was their first meeting as well.

There was no awkwardness or shyness or small talk to fill the spaces. We picked up where it seemed we'd left off the last time we saw each other - in our virtual world.

The air was full of our conversation and laughter and questions. We inserted words for each other, shared the vocabulary of spirit and truth and healing, understood the unspoken. As I sat in the booth at the restaurant, Carrie to my right, a window onto a world of people carried on giant wings into new adventures on my left, I watched Amber sitting across from me and felt a bridge - a wholeness born of our gathering in this jumping-off place.

We are women from three different decades, decades that form a bridge of experience, wisdom, and hope. Amber in her thirties, Carrie in her forties, me in my fifties - joined by hearts seeking truth and healing. And we learned from each other, not only about each other, but messages from the Divine given to each of us from each of us.

At one point I worried that Amber might miss her plane. No one was paying attention to the time. A part of me wouldn't have minded if she had - I could have stayed there forever basking in the energy of our combined spirits. But in a continuation of the perfect timing of the day, she checked the time just in time. We claimed every possible minute together, talking right up until she was swallowed into the warren of security restrictions. Hasty hugs goodbye, not disappointing in their quickness, most likely because we knew, we know, this was just the beginning.


Rainbow picture from Flickr

18 comments:

Suzy said...

Perfect! And what a gorgeous photo!!

I am jealous...

Love you,

Suzy

Carrie Wilson Link said...

"We inserted words for each other, shared the vocabulary of spirit and truth and healing, understood the unspoken."

Exactly!

This brought tears to my eyes!

Wanda said...

Beautiful...

...women
...story telling
...picture
...spirits...

Just beautiful.

kario said...

Love it! So pleased you guys spent an afternoon this way.

Go Mama said...

Lovely to see you all together!

Liz said...

I'm jealous too. Sigh.

Kathryn Magendie said...

Oh! Deb - I hope this will be us soon -- I will be back to Oregon this year and this time we must must meet. I have made no hard plans yet, but thinking maybe for Norah Kathryn's first birthday in October.

Love the photo

hooray said...

Green with envy! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! You three are filled with light!

patti said...

Deb, HOW AMAZING!! I just LOVE this post and your illustrations!

Doesn't GOD bring the perfect soulmates, in all sizes, shapes, and colors?!!!!

This blog rocks.
Patti

Amber said...

What beautiful writing of our beautiful time! I love it. I agree with every word!
And I had not thought about us not telling how to know who we were! LOL! So true.

I felt so happy as I waited through the line, like my spirit had just been shored up. Can't wait to see you girls again.

:)oxox

Rick said...

This is the kind of post that I'd like to see more of- friendship is such a gift.

Mark Lyons said...

I think there is something special about "sisterhood"... whether they are biologically related or not. Men don't seem to be able to develop the same types of relationships, probably because we're (I'm raising my hand) willing to be as transparent and trusting with other men.

I'm glad that you have these special relationships and that you are willing to nurture them...and share them with all of us.

Love
Mark

T. Powell Coltrin said...

What a precious day! It goes to show us that we are all friends just waiting to happen.

YOU are so pretty.

Carol............. said...

Oh, what a wonderful post...it's so special when the hearts of friendships come together to share with each other.

Nancy said...

I can feel the warmth and the love. Simply beautiful.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful photo to memorilize a beautiful greeting!
x0

Anonymous said...

Well your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats high to you dispatch, intention look progressive in behalf of more interdependent articles without delay as its anecdote of my favourite topic to read.

B. WHITTINGTON said...

What a wonderful friendship story. I've been astounded at the women I've become friends with since starting my blog. I feel sorry for guys because I don't think they have the same kind of gift that women do in this area.

I'm not downplaying their friendships at all. I know for sure my guy does not have this with his friends. My friendships are golden. Thanks for sharing yours.
Blessings!
Yes, beautiful photos.